[Alberg30] alternator--repost

Mpete53 at aol.com Mpete53 at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 12:58:14 PDT 2000

  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | The BT Global Challenge, a round-the-world race of matched boats sailing against the    |
  | prevailing winds, left Boston October 15 for Buenos Aires.  Check it out, online, at    |
  | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |
  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  Upgrading the wire that connects the alternator to the battery may be all you
need. I was having low charging problems a few years age. The amp meter would
show a good charge only for a few minuets after the engine started, then
would drop to almost nothing. I traced the problem to the plugs that connect
the wiring harness together. By cutting wires that go from the alt to the amp
meter on either side of the plugs then soldering them together I improved my
charging rate dramatically.

    I know that the little Motorola alt will put out quite a bit more power
than it is rated at if the wires to the bat are increased. My farther boat
has the same alt very short runs to the from the alt to batt and heave wires.
This setup almost pegs a 60 amp ammeter for the first 30 seconds or so after
the engine is started

Mark