[Alberg30] Woodwork

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 29 20:16:54 PST 2000

  | This is it!  Monday October 31 is the last day. Quick, right now! |
  | Go to http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066   |
  | and use the e-coupon code APMK18 for your discount.               |

>   Does anyone have any experience bleaching out the dark spots water causes
>when it gets under varnish? I have read some references about bleaching; 1.
>do you bleach just the spots, or is there a product for treating the whole
>piece? 2. Is the result of even color, or , basically, the dalmation effect
>I now have? 3. Do you think the process weakens the wood? It's my (mahogony,
>I think) tiller I want to tackle.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Michael
>Checkmate #220

You can bleach wood with oxalic acid pretty well, but to make the color
even, you need to do the whole thing. Bleaching usually does a good job. If
you don't want to refinish the whole thing you can sand the dark spots out
and touch up. A little stain to match the rest of the tiller might work,
but I'd do the whole tiller myself; it isn't that big a job.

My tiller is delaminating, too. I'll either reglue & refinish it this
winter or build a new one, which might be a nice project.

Mine is a nice double curved tiller which might be ash (?) on the outside
with a mahogany (?) core.  Does anyone know is there is an Alberg
"standard" tiller shape, or can I be fancy free in designing a new
one?  I'd probably make a new one shorter since I don't need all that
mechanical advantage, and bent up higher so the autotiller is more
level.   I've noticed a few replacement tillers for sale at Fawcetts which
might fit, but  I can make a better one myself.  Any ideas as to what a
good laminate be made from?  Ash, oak, mahogany, etc?

Also,  has anyone built a new set of spreaders? Might be another
woodworking project fore the Winter. I guess it would be pretty
straightforward. I'll drop my mast this season and see how good/bad the
spreaders are. May not even need anything. Every coupe of years I spread
some glop across the spreader tops and no problems yet (knock wood).

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181