[Alberg30] Wheel Steering Retrofit.

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Tue Oct 31 04:54:18 PST 2000

  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | The BT Global Challenge, a round-the-world race of matched boats sailing against the    |
  | prevailing winds, left Boston October 15 for Buenos Aires.  Check it out, online, at    |
  | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |
  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Hello,

Edson wheel steering was offered by Whitby Boatworks as an option.  The type
used was basic cable and quadrant, and is available today from either Edson
or Whitlock.  The installation is easy: and for those who enjoy the feel of
real "gentleman yachting" a wheel gives you it's worth it.   Interestingly,
Albergs (30s and 37s) all have the pedistal mounted forward in the cockpit
even with the main winch pads.  I think this is quite goofy as the winch
grinders have no room to work when tacking.  In fact, the whole crew is
packed in the front 30" of the cockpit while the rest is empty behind.  The
aurgument that moving the weight of the crew a little forward doesn't hold
water:  who would wreck the efficiency of the whole cockpit for a 1/2 or 1
degree of trim?

As you may have guessed, I have a boat with factory mounted steering.  I
hate to admit it, but I like the wheel and am going to move it aft about 20"
this winter.  If Albergs were still sailed hard here as a one-design I'd
definatly go to a tiller.   Back in the days of my youth I supplied the
Edson systems to Whitby... today I supply Whitlock.  Both are good.

Cheers, Gord A30 KC426