[Alberg30] Re: Fibergalss Work

Bruce Johnson johnson at gyfb.com
Fri Apr 13 11:19:23 PDT 2001

Thanks ! I will send for app. Unfortuantely, putting in a light bulb for me is a advanced mechanical project. Fiberglass repair - forget it. Maybe the boat's time has come. I would be willing to spend say $2,000 to get all the fiberglass work done. Is this a realistic price for a pro?

>>> gdinwiddie at min.net 04/13/01 02:02PM >>>
Bruce

You can get the Alberg 30 Association application form by sending
an email to 'info-request at alberg30.org' with the subject line
'send application.pdf' (without the quotes).  An automated response
will contain the application.  Note, however, that the maintenance
manual is currently out of print.  Orders with membership renewals
cleaned them out.

The best guy I know for doing fiberglass work is Tim Silvio in
NJ.  He's the guy who did the work on Tern II.  He's not cheap,
but he's really excellent.

Other than that, I'm not sure who I'd recommend for a recoring
job.  For that matter, I'm not sure who would *want* to do it.
I've been slowly fixing deck problems on Calypso.  My work is
certainly not up to the standard of Tim's, but you're welcome
to take a look at it if you want.  I'm certainly not interested
in doing this work on other boats, however.

Jim Menucci's articles in the Maintenance Manual are one way of
going about it.  He spent two years without sailing.  I've approached
the problem differently.  Rather than spend two years of hard
work without any sailing, I'm spending a much longer time of having
a boat that's a work-in-progress.

I started with the cockpit sole, which was really squishy in spots.
Starting there has plusses and minusses.  On the plus side, it's
not very noticable.  On the minus side, it's really hard to work
down there.  This was my first-ever fiberglass work and I did an
awful job.  I need to go back and redo that.

Since then, I've done the low cabin top, the lazarette area and
the side decks alongside the cockpit.  The low cabin top and the
lazarette area had noticeable soft areas.  My approach has been
to grind off the fiberglass any place that sounds dull when you
tap on it.  Then I grind out any core that's wet or worse.  I
replace the core with klegecell (from Fiberglass Coatings, Inc.)
and lay up new glass on top.  In some places, the core was fine
but wasn't bonded well with the top skin.  I grind off all of
the diamond-shaped nonskid and fair the surface as well as I can.
I paint with brightsides (2 or three coats), tape off areas for
non-skid and paint another coat of brightsides with the no-skid
beads added.

I've worked a section at a time.  Now that the worst is done,
much of the work is just fairing and filling where I've removed
the non-skid.  That's still a lot of work, and I come across
small areas that are worth recoring.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |