[Alberg30] Engine Controls

OurYawl at aol.com OurYawl at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 14:07:46 PDT 2001

Hi,  This is a subject I have spent much time on recently.  I assume we are still talking about the location of the key, starter, choke and switches for blower and running lights.  I decided to do something really different.  I am in the process of putting these items along with a fuel gauge on a new panel located where the compass usually is.  It will recess them and cover them.  The other gauges will stay where they are.  I have taken this step because I got into serious trouble for a few minutes being tossed by a wake while traversing a narrow channel and breaking off the key killing the engine.

I am also replacing the switch panel below and moving it. I designed a custom panel to fit around the compass box.  I expect I will have some very much shorter battery leads etc.  I went to the system where the starter and house batteries never combine except for charging.  This project is not complete but will be in about three or four weeks.

The compass is going up on the cabin bulkhead just starboard of the companionway - away from everythng electronic and / or magnetic.

Comments or warnings greatly apprciated.

Thanks,

Jim Saflund, Narraganset Bay
Chanson Sur Mer  #280