[Alberg30] Help-Big Problem

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:28:51 PDT 2001

The main beam deflection is common on all A30s with wooded main beams. The
repair is straight forward and simple and takes about 10 hours of work start
to finish. Once complete, the boat is actually stronger that it was
originally.

I have some comment on tension. A few years ago, at a large A30 raft-up I
took a Loos tension guage and checked the rig tension on about 26 boats. I
found a huge variation, from extremely loose to extremely tight. Many people
feel they are being kind to the boat by having a loose rig - I disagree. I
think a loose rig is as harmful, maybe more, than a tight rig because in
heavy air and choppy water the mast will "pump" with a loose rig causing
short bursts of heavy shock to the boat. I am not suggesting a over
tightened rig, rather proper tension. As a general rule the uppers should be
about equal in tension with the top of the mast positioned directly over the
base. The forward lowers should be taught and should actually pull the mast
forward slightly at the spreaders when you sight up the mast. The after
lowers show be loose, almost sloppy. I have the actual numbers at home and
will put them in a separate email, if anyone is interested.