[Alberg30] Fixing bad decks

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat Aug 4 04:41:47 PDT 2001

I want to advise a friend on how to fix his rotted core decks (balsa I think). I did mine by drilling holes and injecting epoxy, but he doesn't want to do that. We discussed cutting off the top layer of glass, removing the rot, reinstalling a core, and reglassing the decks back down. I remember a while back someone discussed using something other than wood for the new core. What is that product and what is it like to work with? Is it a supposed FOREVER fix (in other words, it won't rerot out)? What's the price like in relation to marine ply? Any other info or advice?
 By the way, his rotted deck is under a beautiful Teak deck which was probably the cause of the failure in the first place.

2nd Question:   Are there any Plastic (PE) fuel tanks that can be installed under deck for use with Diesel engines. (Based on ABYC Standards / Meeting Coast Guard requirements)

Thanks,
Brian    A30 #497