Mainsheet

Mon Aug 13 14:30:13 PDT 2001

Joe,

Please calm down.  I think you've jumped on Sheila too hard, when
she was only trying to help.  Calling her names certainly steps
over the line.  If you go back and reread her message, you'll see
that she had complimentary things to say about you.  Her negative
comments were about the Mainsheet, not you.

I'm sure Sheila understands the difficulty of getting good material
for the Mainsheet.  She also understands the difficulty of getting
the standard articles in on time.  Everyone who's held the office
of Secretary has faced these problems.  Everyone's dealt with them
in their own way, some better than others.  The most recent issue
is, to my mind, rather ho-hum.  Not bad, just not as interesting as
I would expect from you.  I think that's what Sheila's trying to
say, too.

I certainly understand how a monthly Association job can turn into
a chore, especially when no one seems to offer any words of appreciation
but they do offer criticisms.  I don't have any answer for that; I
deal with it the best I can, but sometimes that's not very well.

In spite of problems and circumstances beyond your control, the format
and contents of the Mainsheet is ultimately the responsibility of the
Secretary.  Yes, officers will procrastinate and not get their articles
delivered in time.  Leaving the article out, though, should be a very
last resort.  If emailing the offender isn't working, maybe you could
email someone who could call him on the phone.  Direct one-on-one
communication works best.  Phone calls have more immediacy than email,
and some people don't check their email very frequently.  Asking
Roberta, as Commodore, for her help would be a natural first step.
You can also call on quite a few of the members who are not current
officers.  If you need a local phone call made, or an errand run,
let someone know.  Send me an email; I'll do what I can.  If I don't
respond in a few days, it may be that I'm out-of-town or have a
problem with my email, so try someone else.  The point is, let's
try to work through the problems.

As for the photos, the printer has pictures from the front of the
Handbook.  They should be able to insert them in at printing time.
It's good to put the schedule of upcoming events (for the next
month and a half) at the top of the front page as a reminder to
people.  The web page and email lists aren't meant as a replacement
for the Mainsheet.

Motivating people to write articles is hard.  Here, again, though,
one-on-one appeals work much better than general calls for articles.
When someone mentions a job they've done, perhaps send them a
personal email asking them to write it up a bit more formally for
the Mainsheet.  If they have photos or sketches that need scanning,
have them send it to me.  I know you had good intentions in offering
hats for articles, but I think you'll get better participation using
guilt than bribes.  Let people know that they owe their Association
an article.

I hope this feedback helps, Joe.  And, please do apologize to Sheila.
I know she made you angry, but your response isn't going to help the
situation.  A prompt apology for your outburst may patch things up
and even bring some unexpected help.

 Fair winds,
   George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org