[Alberg30] Engine heat

John Allen gallen at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Aug 9 21:08:28 PDT 2001

Thanks to all who answered.  I have moved the suction hose from the bilge to
a spot above the manifold.  The heat coming out of the dorade is indication
that quite a few BTUs are being removed.  Now since I'm concerned about
removing fumes from the lowest point of the bilge, I will look into getting
another blower for the inlet dorade and use that to remove the heat, but
return the other hose to the bilge.  There should still be enough air
getting in to the bilge for the exhaust blower to work.

BTW, the engine-side ice box wall is covered with pink Styrofoam and then
"lead" and foam engine blanketing.  I have insulated the inner walls and
floor as well as top surfaces of the ice box.  I have also made a lid with a
TE cell from a Koolatron ice box which operates only while the engine is
running to augment the ice.  When under sail, I replace the lid with the
original since the aluminium fins tend to suck out the cool interior.

So far, my two containers of blue ice packs (about 2 Kg) last 5 days which
is enough for my type of cruising.

Skybird #522

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |