[Alberg30] Broken forestay

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:52:46 PDT 2001

I don't think there is because there are too many variables depending on the
boat. For example...if you have roller furling it is recommended to have a
double toggle at the top instead of a single, to reduce side loaded stress
from the stay. When I installed my Schaeffer roller furler, I had to cut my
'standard' headstay to accomodate this extra toggle. While all of the boats
are close, they could have slightly different rakes to the mast and it
doesn't take much to make the stay too short or too long. The best thing, of
course, if fir the stay to the particular boat.

BTW, when cutting wire riggin the best tool I have found for the job is a
dremmel tool with a carbide wheel. Tape the wire before cutting so it
doesn't splay after it is cut.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505
(410) 544-9067