[Alberg30] Fixing bad decks

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Sat Aug 11 18:19:51 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/11/01 7:33:01 PM, timmins at optonline.net writes:

>Cork Strips? I'm curious, do you remember which magazine and what issue?
>Any reason your aware of to use cork instead of teak? I agree that glueing
>down is better than screwing down but why not glue down teak?

Okay, I want a gold star for pulling this one out.  "Now on Deck:  Cork
Planking Dresses, Protects Yachts," by Robert M. Lane, appearing in the
May/June 2001 issue of Passagemaker magazine.  The cork planking is actually
a particleboard-like processed product of cork that has been ground,
compressed, mixed with chemicals and sliced into planks.  The resulting
material is much cheaper than teak, weighs half as much as teak, is much more
durable and resistant to staining, requires none of the maintenance of teak,
bends much more easily, and is easily glued to existing fibreglass decks --
or so the article claims.  If you can lay vinyl tile in your kitchen, the
article says, you can lay a cork deck that when laid will look like a teak
deck but will require little in the way of maintenance.  It is made by a
Netherlands company called Stazo Marine Equipment BV, and the trade name of
the product is MarineDeck 2000.  According to the article, a lot of builders
are starting to use it in new construction, including Island Packet, Chris
Craft, Aprea Mare and Hallberg Rassy.  the US distributor is MarQuipt in
Pompano Beach, Florida, 954/957-8333.

The rest of the 6-page article talks about the details of working with the
product.  It notes, in conclusion, that the costs in materials and labor of
laying a teak deck over an existing fibreglass deck run from $100 to $130 a
square foot.  With this cork stuff, the materials (including adhesives, seam
caulk and binder) run about $37 a square foot, and the overall costs
including labor run about $75 a square foot.

I swear I'm not a shill for the company -- I just cut out and saved the
article because it intrigued me so.  If anyone gives it a try, I'd like to
hear their impressions.

>I'll be on vacation for a week or so. Trying to sail to Block Island
>from Jamaica Bay again. Once again, it appears to be wind right on the nose
>and I don't fancy 130 miles hard on the wind (and my wife won't tolerate it
>either). We'll have to wait and see. It's off the dock by 10:00 AM tomorrow.

Okay, this is where I'm going to have to duck, but you've just summarized
why, after 20+ years of sailing, I just sold my 1968 A30 and bought a 1968
Chris Craft Commander 42.  Last summer, almost to the day, I set out on a
two-week vacation from Oyster Bay, bound for Block and the Vineyard.  The
wind of course was in my face the whole way, and I never made it east of
Essex.  And, of course, the wind being perverse as it always is, backed
around just in time for the return trip home.  After waaaay too many hours
wallowing on the diesel, I finally decided that it was time for a change.
I've attached a small jpg of a 1967 ad for the Commander for your collective
derision.  Hey, I promise not to throw a wake across any A30's bow.
Promise!!!

Sanders McNew