[Alberg30] Electronic Ignition

T. Kevin Blanc tkevinblanc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 14:55:37 PDT 2001

Most Atomic 4 historians will tell you that the Atomic
4, while bearing a close resemblance to a tractor
engine, was designed from the "water up" as a marine
engine.

I have an electronic ignition (Indigo,
www.atomic4.com) on my engine and it performs
admirably.

That being said, I think I would prefer to have a
well-functioning point system on my boat because it
would be easier to diagnose and fix far from home.
Unfortunately, I could never get my points to last for
even a season without stranding me somewhere. So, I
went electronic.

On the other hand, no one manufactures automobiles
with points anymore...

Points would be better from a Keep-it-simple-stupid
point of view.

--- Crufone at aol.com wrote:
> Peter,
> I am a mechanic.  I don't see the need for the
> electronic ignition update on
> a flat head farm tractor engine.......which is what
> the Atomic 4 is.  I have
> updated engines with electronic ignition systems for
> performance reasons, but
> not for dependability reasons.  Performance is not
> an issue with a 25-30 HP,
> 1800 RPM crusing engine, reliability is.
>
> My advice as a Sailor and a Mechanic,  Keep the
> stock ignition system clean,
> (dirt and grease attact and absorb moisture, the
> foil of any ignition
> system), use a silicone spray treatment after the
> wires and cap are clean,
> keep the engine tuned up, drain the carburetor and
> the tank when not in use
> for extended times, use an alcohol water absorbing
> fuel treatment reqularly,
> and most importantly  save your hard earned dollars
> for new sails not
> electronic ignition systems.
>
> New to the list and soon to be an A30 owner,
>
> Michael Connolly

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |