[Alberg30] Electronic Ignition

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Aug 20 13:15:33 PDT 2001

OK, but I replace my points and plugs every couple years or so and
have never had starting problems.  I did have the engine die on me
once, but that turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.  And I keep
spare points and condensor in case of problems.

Sure, the auto industry has gone to electronic ignition, but I'd
bet that's more for reduced labor in manufacturing than out of
concern for the end user.  And the auto industry doesn't use
flathead engines any more, either.  The Atomic 4 is what it is.
When in good repair, it's pretty reliable in the stock configuration.
I know that Kevin had trouble with his distributor and putting on
the electronic ignition happened to fix that, but I don't think
it's necessarily beneficial for all engines.  YMMV.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |