[Alberg30] insurance

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 12:58:35 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/21/01 3:34:58 PM, sail_505 at hotmail.com writes:

>Mine is about $300 per year with Allstate (not sure they are accepting
>any new policy holders) and this is with a $25K hull insurance

One of the rude awakenings of going from sail to power for me was finding out
what drives marine insurance rates.  It's not the value of the hull you're
insuring for the most part.  Rather, it's the harm you are capable of
inflicting on the water.  BoatUS charges nearly three times the premiums I
was paying for my A30 for covering a Chris Craft of similar value.  When I
asked the agent, she explained that a sailboat traveling at hull speed goes a
lot slower than a powerboat with a planing hull, and the underwriters
consider it to be a far greater risk to insure, and adjust the premiums
accordingly.  Yet another reason for you to feel smug (fuel dock bills being
another) next time you glide by a gin palace.

Sanders McNew.
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |