[Alberg30] Swinging at anchor

Chester and Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Mon Aug 27 20:27:40 PDT 2001

I believe the sail is referred to as a "riding sail." I have never used one, so not sure what impact it has on reducing the A30's tendency to yaw at anchor. Being a single-handed sailor myself, I frequently use two anchors off the bow, set roughly 90 degrees to one another.  The best way for me to accomplish this is to 1) set the first anchor in the "normal" way and 2) after I am sure that it is set properly, I place the second anchor and rode in the stern of the tender and row off at 90 degrees  until the rode is completely paid out and drop the anchor over the side.  Back aboard, I tug on the rode until it is set. To weigh anchor, slacken one line while hauling in the other; once on board, haul in the second rode.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445