[Alberg30] Fixing bad decks

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 10:31:17 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/6/01 1:15:15 PM, SwiftLaw at aol.com writes:

>Any suggestions for me. I want to replace my deck with teak. Should I strip
>it all down and start fresh?

See a therapist?

Seriously, putting on a teak deck will be extremely expensive, add lots of
weight above the waterline, create endless possibilities for leaks, and
vastly increase the odds of developing delamination in the deck lay-up.  I am
also on a listserve for old Chris Crafts and, simultaneously with your post,
they are having a spirited discussion about ways to fix boats with problem
teak decks (a redundant and repetitive phrase).  You don't need to buy
yourself that headache.

If you must have the look and feel of teak, you might consider laying down
glued cork strips.  I saw an article in a recent boating magazine that
described it -- the color can be matched to teak, and you use the same black
compound between the strips, and it gets glued down so you don't have the
same portential for leaks and delamination, and the cork stripping is lighter
and about 1/3 the price of teak.  If it's done well, it is
near-indistinguishable from teak.

Just my $0.02.

Sanders McNew,
Member Emeritus.
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |