[Alberg30] Jiffy Reefing

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Thu Feb 1 07:02:47 PST 2001

Hi,

Go ahead and mess up the roller reefing.  You will not miss it.   I have
converted my boat to slab reefing; it is my opinion that the roller reefing
rage that was sweeping the industry when our boats were built was marketing
generated.  Slab reefing when well set up is quick, strong and effective.
Roller reefing a la 1960's results in a poor reef, it destroys a sail as it
allows reefs where no reinforcing supports the new tack and clew, it
prevents a triangulated vang, it is slow, it is stumped by a missplaced
crank handle, etc. etc.

The vang thing is serious.  Our boats have a characteristic that involves
the boom hanging up on the backstay if during a jibe it rises only a few
degrees.  I have vivid memories of A30 #234 Surya pinned on her side during
a 50kt squall in the Boswell Cup race late '60's.  The tang on the end of
the boom that catches the mainsheet pinched the backstay and there we were,
mains'l locked amidships, mast in the water.  A vang to the heel of the mast
is a 100% cure for this problem as you can leave in "on" and pulling through
a jibe.

Sorry for the vehemence of my feelings about 1960's style roller reefing!

Gord KC426 Surprise