[Alberg30] Re: Public-list digest, Vol 1 #81 - 2 msgs

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 1 07:40:51 PST 2001

To; Peter Somokowicz,

Several years ago, when I replaced my engine, I replaced the flax packing in the stuffing box with this space age packing material which is made from a combination of Teflon and a blue paste substance. It is advertised to 1. reduce friction 2. reduce heat and 3. to change the stuffing box from a water lubricated bearing to a permanently sealed bearing. It never needs servicing and doesn't drip water. The process is to remove and thoroughly clean up the stuffing box and repack it with this new material. It is used on power boats to increase the shaft RPM and reduce heat by reducing friction. It's been 4 years and I haven't had to adjust the stuffing box since the initial installation [although I check it periodically for heat and water drip]. I have since installed it on two other A30's and they are doing fine also. It does not require that you change the stuffing box. It is sold at West Marine for about $55 called a Drip-Less Moldable Packing Kit and I have been very pleased with the results.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=6044&outlet

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012