[Alberg30] downhaul

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Tue Feb 27 08:39:20 PST 2001

Nawo nawo nawo, mates.  I think that part of the confusion might be the
reference to the mitre seam.  Sails made after the early '70's don't have em
and people who started sailing after that may not have seem em.

Imagine the downhaul being a line that goes from the top hank down to the
tack, passing through some sort of fairlead part way along (half way up...
1/3 way up ...) the luff of the sail.  In an old fashioned sail a convenient
place for the fairlead might have been on the mitre seam, but don't worry
about it today as very few sails are built that way.

Gord KC426 - just old enough to remember mitre seams.