[Alberg30] chartering

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Feb 28 03:02:57 PST 2001

Dick,
Just before buying my A30, I used to club race with a friend on a Morgan
382. It's the next generation after the centerboard model 38 (it has a fixed
keel and separate skew hung rudder). We would race with a crew of 5 or 6
total. We only did well if the winds were blowing pretty hard (which was
rare in Huntington Bay, Long Island Sound). We raced in the "Target Rock"
Series which did draw a few really fast boats. We were in a cruising class
with no spinnakers allowed. I would usually be the downwind helmsman since
I'm pretty good at holding a wing and wing set up.
I found the boat comfortable and easy to sail. It is fairly stiff, only
burying the rail rarely in real strong winds. It certainly isn't a great
light air boat (we actually dropped out of a few races due to light winds).
Generally, I would say it sailed similar to an Alberg 30 but with the
increased space of a 38. In light winds, the A30 is easier to make go. In
heavy winds, the Morgan might actually be stiffer (hard to make this call.
I've only been out in heavy winds in my A30 using a really old (blown out)
mainsail (since replaced)). If I was planning on having flocks of people on
board frequently, the 38 can obviously accommodate them better. As a
personal choice, I prefer the A30's intimacy and sailing characteristics
but, in 5 or so years of ownership, I've never had more than a total of 5
people on board. All good friends, and that was too crowded for me.
Regards,        Brian        Free Spirit    #497