[alberg30] Rudder design

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jan 1 14:22:51 PST 2001

Dear Robert,
I don't think the curved rudder shape is a fault, as such.  Many
Cape Dory keels designed by Alberg are flat on the bottom, and
this may just be an evolution in Alberg's thinking.  I recall
reading that a flat bottom gives a bit more control against
rounding up in heavy blows.  The Tanzer rudders are swept
back--scimiter shape--and the boat has a tendency to round up
under pressure.  In a 1979 book by Richard Henderson called
_Choice Yacht Designs_ both the lines for the Triton Mk II and
the Alberg 30 show "a more modern shape", or "on this plan the
rudder has been modernized."  At the same time the underwater
profile shows a rounded rudder.  Henderson seems to have
corresponded with Alberg, as he refers to Carl as being retired,
per his letterhead.  There are small discrepancies between the
lines and the traditional profile--LOA is 30' 3 1/4"; draft 4' 3
1/2".  One criticism from Yachting said that the head might be
raised a bit as it is even with the load waterline.  In all, the
review is very positive.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590