[Alberg30] Radar Mounts

James Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 19:07:34 PST 2001

I have had radar on Isa Lei for the past two years.  I am using the "Lilly Stainless Steel" mast mount.  It is just above the spreader and is of the fixed type.  I find that I have a radar horizon of about 6 miles, but on a weekend the screen can get so cluttered with other traffic that I generally use it on 3 miles.  Manufacturers statements not withstanding, the only thing you are going to see on a greater range is tall buildings, mountains and thunderstorms.  For an A30 ranges of 6 or less miles are realistic.  Occasionally I will go the the 24 mile range, just looking for storms.

Jim Davis
Isa Lei
240