[alberg30] Valves and through hulls

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Fri Jan 5 06:39:08 PST 2001

I would not recommend PVC or CPVC valves for any purpose on a boat located
in an area that gets cold.  Certainly not for a through hull.  I just put a
wooden plug in the head discharge through hull (from the outside) because
the PVC valve failed in freezing weather letting in sufficient water to
threaten the boat.  This PVC valve is fairly massive and has been on the
boat since the Association did a group purchase of Mansfield TDX treatment
systems in the late 70's or early 80's.  While it worked for many years it
failed suddenly and without warning.  I am replacing it today with either
bronze or Marlon which is glass reinforced nylon.  The difference in cost is
insignificant when compared to your peace of mind.

Ross Horton
Delphi #40