[Alberg30] Re: Spark Plugs

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Jan 11 17:34:05 PST 2001

Owen, (and any other interested parties)
  Yes, I am not a typist (one finger and slow), but that is not a typo!
Shortly after buying my boat, I learned about the "Moyer Cult of Atomic 4
Worship." I subscribed to his newsletter, bought all the back issues, and
even attended one of his seminars in Harrisburg. It was a real education on
the A4. His newsletter isn't published anymore but it has been condensed
into a Maintenance Manual.
   Don Moyer claims that it is very important to the engines longevity to
have it running as close as possible to the original design specs, including
compression. By referencing the original design drawings he came up with a
dimension for the depth of the cylinder cavity in the head and various ways
to measure what you've got. If I remember correctly, some original heads,
and probably all reworked heads are shallower than they should be. This
means the engine will have higher compression than it should. Unlike a race
car engine, in the A4, that is not good for various reasons.
    The second winter I owned my A30, I tore the engine down for routine
care. It's salt water cooled and to really clean out the cooling passages,
you've got to take the head off and dig around with wire in all the ports
and passages. I didn't  know much of my engine's history, so this made sense
at the time.(I clean it with a fresh water wash and radiator cleaner or
white vinegar now to maintain it).
    When you put these two topics together with Moyer induced knowledge,
your in a position to Moyerize and adjust your compression. When you
reassemble the engine, you can add a shim plate between the gaskets to
return the size of the combustion chamber to it's designed volume and
therefore it's designed compression (or at least really close). Of course,
Moyer Marine was or is the only place you can get the shim. He had them
custom made in two (I think) thicknesses. This work really isn't to hard to
do. I am technically inclined, but I'm not an engine mechanic. The hardest
part is dealing with bolts and studs that are corroded in place. If you are
stubborn (like me) and have a full set of instructions and a good set of
tools, it's actually pretty easy.
    Since doing the "Moyerizing" and installing the updates/upgrades my
motor has been purring like a kitten. It starts easily, runs smooth, and is
dependable. Not bad for a 1974 original motor. There aren't many A4's left
in my area but I'll keep mine for a while thank you.
Regards,    Brian       Free Spirit    A30  #497