[Alberg30] Atomic 4 (was Spark Plugs)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Jan 21 19:12:47 PST 2001

You won't have any problems with an Atomic 4 knocking, unless it's
got other problems.  Knocking comes from burning a gas that's too
low in octane rating.  While tetra-ethyl lead was used to raise the
octane rating, other compounds do the same in unleaded gas.  The
compression of an Atomic 4 should be about 90, much lower than any
modern car engine.

Some engines use the lead to lubricate the valve guides, too.
That's the reason for "lead substitute" compounds that you add
to the gas.  I think I'm going to discontinue using these.  Perhaps
some Atomic 4 engines built in the 50's required this, but I've
heard from numerous mechanics that the Atomic 4 really doesn't
require it.

 - George

Keys wrote:

> I was talking with a mechanic who said the problem with the A4s was the
> valves knocking since the gas is now unleaded , he said they solution was a
> different type valve guide I think he said bronze, like they would do I the
> old Harley's.
 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |