[Alberg30] Onboard AC power

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Mon Jan 22 16:30:37 PST 2001

I rewired with an inlet under the bridge deck where that compass well is (was), going to a 15A staged battery charger, and split to a breaker (20A) then to two GFI (essential) receptacles, one in the closet face panel and one on the left of the dish rack. This allows me to have the breaker off with the battery charger on through a charge splitter for the house and engine battery banks. The charger has it's own ground fault breaker. Have never used the recepticle in the fore area.
Be aware, ____Black is Hot (Positive)_______ in AC circuits and White is Neutral (green is still ground.) In most DC systems black is negative.
Alan

On 1/22/2001 at 1:08 PM John Shell wrote:

>In my experience, a simple installed AC system is all I needed.  30 amps in
>at the aft end of the cockpit, breakers in the hanging locker.  Outlets in
>V-berths and galley.  My charger is wired directly to a 10 A breaker (it's
>one of those "smart" chargers)  I also have a battery combiner.
>
>When I installed my airconditioning, I added a second shore tie and seperate
>AC system for it.  It cost more, but I figured that it would leave my
>existing AC system alone (I just rewired and didn't want to put more on it)
>and I could rip it out when I needed to.
>
>I lived on the SORCERESS for a year with my wife and cat and that set up
>filled our needs perfectly.
>
>John Shell

 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |