[alberg30] Masonite Deck on Early A-30?

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Jan 25 14:47:01 PST 2001

Dan,

Absolutely - I've seen core samples, when they went to balsa I am unsure,
but it was within a couple of years of production. The first generation of
MK1 A-37's also had masonite, the 1967's for sure. However that did not
continue throughout the MK1 production which finished at hull 66 (A-37).

A masonite deck, in my humble opinion, is the best deck made and although
they may delaminate in the cockpit (on a few), almost never rot, nor
delaminate elsewhere. Hull #25 - Rough Bounds, an A-30, is masonite and when
last I was on her about 3 years ago the decks still felt like concrete with
no delaminaton apparent anywhere - she was a 1964. Valency is another (A-30)
with fine bullet proof decks, I'm sure there are many others.

The schedule was gelcoat, csm, cloth to about 1/4" then masonite, then csm,
cloth for another 1/8" then masonite then csm and cloth for about 1/8" total
thickness was about 3/4".

All things being equal - which is rarely the case - I would prefer a
masonite Alberg over any other Alberg.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

John