[alberg30] Masonite Deck on Early A-30?

Charles Haggart chaggart at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 25 15:45:17 PST 2001

Dan;

I have hull # 150 and my core is masonite. She was built in 1966. I have
been told that they started to change to balsa around  hull # 200. I
replaced my cockpit sole last winter. The previous owner did a hatchet
repair job on a spongy area in the cockpit sole by drilling holes through
the top and injecting epoxy resin. According to his story someone told him
this would work but they forgot to tell him to clamp the area so all it did
was open it up even more. By the time I got the boat the complete cockpit
sole was waterlogged. I replaced the core with marine plywood fibreglass it
in and now I have a brand new sole with a bigger access hatch. The cockpit
sole was the only place the surveyor found moisture in the boat.

Charles Haggart