[Alberg30] Re: [Alberg30]

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Jan 25 15:09:43 PST 2001

Re: Speakers, I'm still not overjoyed with mine, but only because there not
projecting loud enough into the cockpit. I installed a pair of three way
enclosed box speakers (the ones you normally wold put on top of the rear
deck of a car interior) underneath the upper outboard lockers just aft of
the head and locker bulkheads. They are so well hidden that you can't even
see them unless you look for them. The ones I have, have an angled front so
they project into the cabin just fine. Unfortunately, they are pointing at
each other across the interior, so to hear them clearly in the cockpit, we
have to turn the volume up. This means it's pretty loud in the cabin. It's
not to much of a bother to us so it's low on my priority list of things to
change. I've been thinking about mounting a pair through the bulkheads
facing aft but don't really want to cut big holes (or little ones for that
matter) into that beautiful expase of teak. Poly Plannar (sp?) makes
speakers that require a small cut out and are only about an inch deep below
there mounting surface. They are fairly big (~5X7"). I've been thinking
about using these and building up a 1 1/2" thick frame to use to mount these
flush mounts as surface mounts. It would be a real small resonant cavity but
would probably look OK and wouldn't destroy the bulkheads. I've talked to
the guy from Poly Plannar about this idea and he just kept saying that there
designed to be flush mounted. I guess that means that he thinks the cavity
would be too small, or that he was just a temp employee to work the boat
show. (sometimes I can't tell)
Do you know enough about speakers to voice an opinion on my mounting plan?
Regards, Brian     #497