[Alberg30] Re: [Alberg30]

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:30:34 PST 2001

The stereo system solution I have come up with is quiet a bit different, if
you are looking for alternatives. Instead of cutting holes in the boat
[something I hate to do] and permanently mounting stereo equipment and
speakers, I found a Panasonic boom box with CD, Tape, AM/FM radio, 6
surround sound speakers and remote control. The unit fits exactly,
perfectly, wedged between the main cabin starboard berth and the offset to
door to the forward cabin, facing aft with the back against the main
bulkhead. It is out of the way, the cushion helps absorb shock for the CD
player, the acoustics are great, with the remote control I can operate it
from the cockpit, there is plenty of volume since it directed toward the
cockpit, it's portable [easily removed during the winter], and easy to
replace if I ever need to. The only drawback that I had to overcome is that
it eats batteries [especially the CD]. So....year 2, I installed a small
inexpensive converter behind the switch panel, fully concealed, and ran
wires to a duplex outlet under the starboard cabinet and simply plug it in
and run it with converted 110v. It has never given me a problem [5 years
now] on draining the battery. Just a thought.

As for speakers, I saw a clever idea on another A30. The owner had installed
snaps [the type you would use for canvas] on the cockpit bulkheads. He
attached the speaker wires to the backs [inside] of these snaps. He then
attached the other part of the snap to the speakers [surface mount].
Whenever he wanted to listen to the stereo he would snap the speakers in
place [electrical connection made] and viola he was ready. After using the
boat, he would detach the speakers and store them below for safe keeping. I
thought this was pretty ingenious.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012