[Alberg30] Alberg 30 #426 For Sale - Registering Boats - Importing to Canada

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Jul 18 19:54:39 PDT 2001

Importing Albergs into Canada:

When looking for an Alberg, before finding Sunstone, I investigated the
option of buying in the USA and returning the boat to Canada.

As these boats were built in Whitby, Ontario, Canada they may be able to be
imported without having to pay the GST. PST would still apply.

If the boat was originally built for a Canadian, and taken delivery of in
Canada, and that this can be documented, then the MST (GST's predecessor)
would have been paid. It there for, if that tax (MST) was paid, will not be
necessary to pay the GST. However the burden of proof is on the
purchaser/importer.

If the vessel was originally built In Bond, that is for export, to the
Chesapeake (for example) the MST would not have been collected and therefore
the GST would apply. No duties now apply due to NAFTA and the fact it is a
Canadian Manufactured vessel.

You may be able to avoid any State Sales Tax as the boat is for export by a
non citizen - check.

You will be required to delist the vessel from the US Coast Guard before
importing it into Canada or registering it. You can register the boat or
licence it before you import her into Canada (advisable) but to register her
under British Registry for Canadian Ships you will need a Canadian Approved
Surveyor - they exist in the USA, they may only survey vessels being
registered in Canada and a list is available from the Coast Guard, or from
Canada Customs or from the Port of Registry Office - Don Powers in Toronto
for Toronto.

Whether you hire a customs broker or not is up to you, it might be prudent,
a lawyer - that depends on your comfort zone. You can do the title search
yourself, I am told that the US Coast Guard is quite helpful in steering you
through the process, our own people are less helpful. Trucking will cost you
about $2000 (from areas within the arc) from Maryland, Connecticut,
Massachusetts,  Maine to Toronto. From Florida it is about $4000. Most
company's will FOB to Buffalo and second invoice you for Buffalo to Toronto
to reduce the GST hit on the transport, unless that has become illegal.

Convert your money from a Mechantile Bank like Friedberg Mercantile Bank in
Toronto (Bay and Richmond) as they will give you a much better break on the
exchange rate than the Big 4.

It would be best for you to take the time and personally shepherd as much of
this process as possible yourself. Also, once sold, the boat has to be out
of State within a specific time, usually 30 days - depending on the State.
It must leave the State physically, if you are planning to cruise the boat
there, without returning to Canada first, you must complete all the paper
work first and apply for a cruising permit before you go sailing. Don't cut
corners here, the US is very security conscious with arrest and seizure of
the boat as a likely outcome. Non US citizens simply shall not own Flagged
US boats.

Likely this all seems a royal pain to put together, as with all things, the
second time will be much easier ; )

Good luck,

John