[Alberg30] Re: Atomic 4 carburetor

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Jul 8 10:52:33 PDT 2001

John,

My Atomic 4 uses the standard updraft carburetor without any flooding
problems.  I think that reengineering your carburetion, while probably
invalidating your insurance, is not the solution to your problem.

Do you have a good fuel filter?  I think most flooding problems are
caused by small bits of dirt in the fuel.  A little bit of grit can
keep the float from shutting off the gas flow.  Old fuel hoses can
also shed bits of rubber, so they're suspect if after the fuel
filter.  Replacement is cheaper and easier than determining if
they're worn out.

 - George

John Allen wrote:

> More problems again.  I'm using an electric fuel pump with a separate
> regulator set at 2 lbs.  The carburetor is still flooding at the most
> embarrassing times.  Needle and seating seem OK, as does the float and
> level.
>
> Has anyone figured out a manifolding system so that a different type of carb
> could be used, side-draft or better yet, a down draft.  The size and jetting
> would have to have been sorted out.  My engine compartment has lots of room
> above and to the side of the manifold.  I would even be tempted to try an SU
> sidedraft which allows needle sizes to be swapped easily.
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |