[Alberg30] re: Atomic Four Qs: (1) Fuel pump (2) Carb tube

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Jul 10 18:40:58 PDT 2001

Capnreitz at aol.com wrote:

> 1. Has anyone had any experience with the electric fuel
> pump, specifically with its' reliability.

This subject is a pet peeve of mine... When I replaced the original
diphragm pump with a Facit electric pump, it was the beginning of
several years of chasing down an intermittent problem where the engine
would just stop running at random times, and then start up again a few
minutes later. I eventually learned, only around May of this year, from
Don Moyer, that 3 or so years ago the Facit pumps had a known defect tha
would make them stop at random times, and a tap from a screwdriver would
start them again. I also learned that that "quality" problem was fixed 2
years, so I replaced it with a new one this year which works fine. So
these Facit pumps are fine, as long as it's a model from the past 2
years or so.

2. Has anyone run into the small tube I described and
> determined its' purpose? Also do I have to replace it in
> kind or will a larger hose, as I installed, be acceptable?

Does your engione have the factory "conduit like" hose on a cast fitting
that is held on by one of the two screws that holds the spark arrestor
on carburator air intake? My understanding is that that is an excess
fuel return. If that is absent, your hose probably serves that function,
and the size would not seem to be critical. However, others are more
expert on that than I am.

By the way, if you are not aware of Moyer Marine
http://www.moyermarine.com
they are the best source that I know of for A-30 parts, advice,
rebuilding, documentation, etc.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |