[Alberg30] Atomic 4 weight

cbcurrier at spinrx.com cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Jul 18 01:41:44 PDT 2001

Actually, having rebuilt one and installed it this last month, the Atomic 4
weighs 330 lbs according to the Specs.

The 330 does not seem to affect much the quality of how the Alberg 30 floats.
However I currently own an older Yanmar 3qm30h which weighs 700 lbs(for sale)
and I believe that in the older alberg models the braces are wide enought as
they originally supported bigger Gray Marine engines. So, with a 700 lb motor
you might have the equivalent of 2 Atomic 4s in the stern. Probably too much
weight.  I would reccomend not going over 450 - 500 lbs. Because of this,
please take into account the age of your Alberg.  The older ones have wider
stringers and might not have been laid out for an Atomic 4 Sized engine.  My
2nd Alberg which currently has no motor does have the exact layout and
matching tapped threadded holes for the Atomic 4. The older one is 57(1964)
the newer one is 458(1971).

Most people are tending towards a yanmar diesel 2gm20 motor that fis nicely,
has the power and reliability.  If you are alittle more hands on then a
remanufactured Atomic 4 should fit perfectly.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

--- "Ian MacIntosh"  <jsirm20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, My alberg has no engine and I am looking at engines from 250 pound
> Yanmars to 500 pound bukhs or volvo MD11s. I am wondering what weight was
> intended to be there. I have a shallow transducer which is dry right now,
> but I think the yanmar should submerge it. Thanks, oh, and If anyone has any

> experience with Bukhs I would love to hear it, I am also interested in any
> other small engines with hand start capability, thanks
> Ian MacIntosh

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |