[Alberg30] Alberg 30 #426 For Sale - Regisitering Boats

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Jul 18 07:21:33 PDT 2001

F.Y.I. Any vessel with a motor 10 hp or greater shall be licensed or registered. (That's why 9.9hp outboard motors exist.) The difference between registration and licensing is the boat is registered by name under the British Registry for Canadian Ships and as such The Queen has 36 shares, of the 100, in your vessel and no numbers need be applied to the exterior hull. The vessel can be conscripted in time of war. It requires a survey for the purpose and costs more to do, but only one vessel in the country can carry the name i.e. Sunstone, there can be a Sunstone II or III etc but only one of each and the hailing Port must be on the stern. With a licensed vessel, only the numbers on the bow matter and you can call it anything you want.

Travelling abroad, I am told, registry boats are easier to land - for financing purposes they are definitely easier to track. Loans and liens have to be registered with the Port Authority of Record so finding a vessel's debt history is easier. The tradition is kind of nice too.

I imagine in the US, the difference between licensed and documented vessels is somewhat similar, excepting The Queen bit of course.

You are legally bound to pay taxes at the time of completion of sale in the case of a broker, or within a reasonable time after completion of a private sale (a judge's definition of reasonable, as in that or the next business day) no matter which option you choose - you cannot sail or use a boat that is not licensed or registered - period.

If you don't "complete the sale" for some period of time, you do not actually own the boat. Meaning an unscrupulous previous owner could encumber the vessel during the interregnum or sell it to someone else.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

John