[Alberg30] RE: Small Bukhs

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Jul 20 09:01:03 PDT 2001

Ian,
re:
>. .. oh, and If anyone has any
> experience with Bukhs I would love to hear it, I am
also interested in any
> other small engines with hand start capability,
thanks
> Ian MacIntosh

I have a one-cylinder Bukh that dates from 1974.  It
can be started cold with the crank but I'm really
panting when it finally catches on (I'm 57).  I have 2
batteries now.  The engine was fairly dirty--the survey
said to clean up the whole area--but when that was done
it has behaved very well these past 2 years.  I have 2
secondary filters on the sidewall.  I replaced the fuel
tank, filters and all of the hoses.  It's noisy
compared to a Honda 9.9 four-cycle, but mostly at idle.
When up to 1800--2500 it smooths out.  For some reason
I can't get it up to 3000 which is where you get the 10
horses.  At 2500 you have about 8.  I have not been
able to align it other than when I replaced the
stuffing box and cutless bearing, so it shakes a bit,
and the mounts are non-adjustable as far as I can see.
I had the injector cleaned, a new rigid high pressure
line, a new thermostat, raw water impeller and had the
high pressure Bosch fuel pump cleaned at a truck shop.
It doesn't run as smooth as an Atomic 4, but there are
no fumes and hardly any diesel smell.  The muffler is a
small Vetus plastic thing.  Other than having to buy
metric tools and manuals there were no unforseen
expenses.  There is a good service depot in New Jersey
and in Kingston.  Like any foreign diesel the parts can
be expensive, but no more so than Volvo, Mercedes or
Yanmar.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |