[Alberg30] anchor line danger

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Jul 25 07:01:34 PDT 2001

Kent,

With the current opposing the wind, the standard solution is a bahamian
moor.  This uses two anchors coming to a single point at the boat.

To get an anchor line to clear the keel, your brother may need to weight
the rode to get it deeper, sooner.

With a fin keel, this may not be enough and he may need to add a swivel
and mooring pennant to the bahamian moor.  Let me see if I can draw this:

		  boat |
		    \_____/\               water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
			     \
			     /\  swivel
			    /  \
			   /    \
			  |      |
			  U      U anchors

Switch to a mono-spaced font, such as Courier if that looks like hash.
Of course, the geometry of the drawing is all wrong, but maybe you can
get the idea.  The point is that the swivel and pennant drop the
anchor rode that's going under the boat so that it doesn't foul the
keel.  And the two anchors provide holding no matter which direction
the boat is facing.

 - George

> Fraser, Kent W. said:
>
> My brother is in Key West on his Hunter 31 and is having a dangerous problem
> with his anchor line.  Here's his description of what's going on.  At the
> bottom is my 1st guess of what's happening.  What do you think?
>
> >From my brother, Scott:
>
> Problem:
> While at anchor, the anchor line continiously streems aft, along the hull,
> with the boat pulling against tightly against the line.
>
> Hazard:
> High winds can suddenly turn the boat, causing the anchor line to wrap
> around the keel. In this condition, the boat is held broadside to the wind.
> When broadside to the wind, the force upon the anchorline is considerably
> multiplied, and during a storm the other night the line broke.
>
> Conditions:
> Example: Today, I'm anchored in a depth of 30 feet, with 60 feet of anchor
> line out (first 25' is chain, the rest line). The tide is going from north
> to south at about five knots. The wind is from the South at five to 10
> knots, sometimes gusting fairly strong.
	[snip]

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |