[Alberg30] anchor line danger

David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 25 18:35:24 PDT 2001

All -

I would agree 100% with George on this.  I often anchor in tidal creeks with
current of 1 - 2 knots (max.) that runs idependent of wind direction.  The low
freeboard & large keel area of the A30 minimizes the problem described, but I have
experienced it, & I see it on other more modern boats fairly frequently.  Two
anchors, 1 upstream & 1 downstream, will minimize the problem.  In my situation,
it also removes the fear that the anchor will flip when the tidal current changes,
and not reset itself.  I must admit though that I do not use chain rode, that
might alter the equation a little.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Kent,
>
> With the current opposing the wind, the standard solution is a bahamian
> moor.  This uses two anchors coming to a single point at the boat.
>
> To get an anchor line to clear the keel, your brother may need to weight
> the rode to get it deeper, sooner.
>
> With a fin keel, this may not be enough and he may need to add a swivel
> and mooring pennant to the bahamian moor.  Let me see if I can draw this:

>                   boat |
>                     \_____/\               water
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                              \
>                              /\  swivel
>                             /  \
>                            /    \
>                           |      |
>                           U      U anchors
>
> Switch to a mono-spaced font, such as Courier if that looks like hash.
> Of course, the geometry of the drawing is all wrong, but maybe you can
> get the idea.  The point is that the swivel and pennant drop the
> anchor rode that's going under the boat so that it doesn't foul the
> keel.  And the two anchors provide holding no matter which direction
> the boat is facing.
>
>  - George
>
> > Fraser, Kent W. said:
> >
> > My brother is in Key West on his Hunter 31 and is having a dangerous problem
> > with his anchor line.  Here's his description of what's going on.  At the
> > bottom is my 1st guess of what's happening.  What do you think?
> >
> > >From my brother, Scott:
> >
> > Problem:
> > While at anchor, the anchor line continiously streems aft, along the hull,
> > with the boat pulling against tightly against the line.
> >
> > Hazard:
> > High winds can suddenly turn the boat, causing the anchor line to wrap
> > around the keel. In this condition, the boat is held broadside to the wind.
> > When broadside to the wind, the force upon the anchorline is considerably
> > multiplied, and during a storm the other night the line broke.
> >
> > Conditions:
> > Example: Today, I'm anchored in a depth of 30 feet, with 60 feet of anchor
> > line out (first 25' is chain, the rest line). The tide is going from north
> > to south at about five knots. The wind is from the South at five to 10
> > knots, sometimes gusting fairly strong.
>         [snip]
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |