[Alberg30] Deadly heat in the stern Lazerette.

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Jul 26 13:00:08 PDT 2001

Brian Zinser wrote:

> I have the Gray Marine Sea Scout 90 engine and my exhaust will get warm
> enough to melt a plastic bucket and I'm sending cold Lake Superior water
> through the system...

My 1966 A-30 with an Atomic-4 came to me 16 years ago with a stiff
welded steel wire fencing-like material, maybe 1/4" or 1/2" grid,
wrapped in a clinder about 6" in diameter protecting the vertical pipe
in the lazarette. I keep regular USCG type nylon jacketed life jackets
in there, some foam fileld, and this guard has kept everything far
enough from the pipe. Now that I have a lot of cooling water flow after
recent repairs, I'm sure it runs cooler, too. I don't recall how it is
supported from the pipe, but I imagine some wire like  coat hangers
could be formed to keep this guard centered.

An intersting side note is that I had a *very* difficult to trace
exhaust leak some years ago, and it turned out to be a hole rusted in
the bottom of that elbow in the bottom of the lazarette.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |