[Alberg30] Cabin Sole Replacement

Gregg Rennie grennie at pipeline.com
Mon Jul 30 20:27:19 PDT 2001

sousa, stephen wrote:

> We are currently looking into replacing the cabin sole on Carina Vela
> (1965). Has anyone taken this project on as a winter project? Also if we are
> going to replace the sole, is the current sole glued and tacked to plywood.
>
> Any comments would help.
>
> Stephen Sousa

I did this job a few years ago on Yankee Star #296 and learned a couple
of lessons.  I replaced the original stringers with pressure treated 2X
and used 3/4" Brazillian Cherry over 1/8" exterior plywood.  Note that
both were kiln dried.  After spending many hours cutting and sanding to
make the new sole fit just perfectly, it expanded substantially after
being put in the water.  I had to remove the hatches and cut them down
about 1/8" to make them able to be opened.  Also, the sole expanded
enough to put a slight upward bow in the floor.  Now it looks like it
was planned that way (water runs off great) but in hindsight I should
have left 1/8"+ on each side, let it expand and then filled with caulk.
I also wish I had put water storage under the sole while it was open.
Other than these lessons it was fairly easy and looks great!
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |