[Alberg30] Does the A-30 have a "false keel"?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Mon Jun 18 09:51:40 PDT 2001

       In wondering about the bottom of my boat (which I always prefer to
imagine as being thick and sound), I searched for illustrations showing the
location of ballast in the A-30.  (Ballast which was, unfortunately, made of
iron in many of the A-30s.)  A curious thing--  none of the diagrams I came
across illustrated just where that ballast is located.  Does anyone on the
list have one?

       The Triton web sites have such detailed pictures of their boats. I
checked them out and was reminded that Tritons have a design and layout
nearly identical to the A-30-- demonstrating that Alberg was not one for
varying from a sure thing.

   A number of Triton owners have reported fracturing of their keel bottoms
behind the ballast from blocks being set underneath that "false keel,"  the
hollow or foam-filled area aft of the ballast, at haulout time.  Those
cracks can lead to that void filling with sea water, resulting in a
down-in-the-stern profile for the boat.

   Have any of you A-30 owners experienced this?  Do we have a similar
construction on the A-30?  Has anyone found a foam filling?  I don't know
that Whitbey Builders would necessarily have utilized the same construction
methods as Pearson did with the Triton, but maybe they did.

   I read that Everett Pearson, builder of the Triton, took a pragmatic
approach to the problem.  He recommended drilling a couple of drain holes in
the keel, letting the water run out, then plugging the holes.

   Here is a copy of his 1998 letter, borrowed from the Tritonclass.org
site:

"Subject: Re: KEEL VOIDS & WATER IN THE HULL'S FIBERGLASS LAMINATE

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:50:17 EDT

The Triton was molded in a one piece mold which made it extremely difficult
to lay-up the section just forward of the rudder. Therefore, we made a
separate piece which extended from the back end of the keel to a point below
the propeller aperture. This piece was filled with urethane foam and bonded
with epoxy to the bottom of the hull. Sometimes, when the boats were hauled
they were set on timbers where the weight of the hull was borne by this aft
section and not on the bottom of the lead keel. This caused some minor
cracking and allowed some penetration of water. Some owners drilled a small
hole in the forward part of this section to allow water to drain when hauled
and prevent freezing. This section filled the area and provided a support
for the bottom of the rudder. Otherwise, it is not a necessary part of the
hull structure.

In the Ariel the heel was molded as part of the hull and foam was
subsequently poured into the back of the hull to fill this deep narrow area.
It was then glassed over to prevent water from getting at the foam and to
allow for easier cleaning. If you think there is water down in the back of
the keel, I would drill a hole at the bottom below the foamed area, drain
it, reseal it, and then redo the glass job on the interior over the
foam....Everett
Pearson"

       Cheers,
Randy

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Randy Katz
910 - 32nd Ave.
Seattle, WA. 98122
USA
206-323-1941
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |