[Alberg30] Lazarette seat?

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Jun 4 09:14:14 PDT 2001

Randy Katz wrote:

> Greetings--
>     It's time to rebuild the lazarette seat/hatch covers...

Randy,

When I got my A-30 15 years ago, the seats and lazarette hatch had been
replaced by the previous owner. The seats were built out of solid teak,
and the lazarette was solid teak sides with a teak veneered plywood top.
I have since laminated on a new teak veneer onto the lazarette after
sanding theough the old veneer in too many spots in the course of
several strippings and re-varnishings. All have always been strong
enough to stand on.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to do this, you might consider
marine plywood, and then epoxy teak veneer on the tops and edges for the
seats and lazarette. In any case, paint the undersides well with
waterproof marine enamel to prevent water absorbtion and warpage. You
may want to replace the cooler hatch to match the appearance at the same
time if your boat has this.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |