[Alberg30] deck core

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Jun 19 10:51:31 PDT 2001

When I did the cockpit sole, I bought klegecell the same thickness
as the balsa.  Unfortunately, I also put a layer of glass mat down
first, causing the cockpit to have a gutter around the edge.  Now
I typically use thickened resin to bed the foam, and it doesn't add
to the thickness appreciably.

As for the choice of material, it's not going to matter much in small
areas.  In large areas, plywood might get to be heavy.  I chose
foam because it has the lightness of balsa but is totally rot-proof.
To be honest, I don't yet trust my ability to make FRP totally
watertight.  Also, foam is a lot easier to cut-to-fit than plywood.
I just used a mat knife.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |