[Alberg30] Stability data and hull/scantlings drawings

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 19 20:05:24 PDT 2001

I think you might want to do the following:

1. Find out if there is a grandfather clause for boats built  in the past.
If not,
2.Find out what formula RYA uses to determine stability--I should think that
there are several--but they are all based on known (or measurable) data.
3. Scantlings may exist in the original Whitby sales literature, ca
1965-1977 or so.  Find out what level of detail is required--there is enough
expertise in this group to measure up what you need.

I think--if I remember correctly--that the tax(VAT) is only due on boats 7
years old or newer. If this is true, they may have grandfathered in boats
older--I dare say that there is no requirement to provide stability figures
for Bristol Channel pilot boats, circa 1890's.....

There is at least one alberg in Europe.  There may be another soon. Both are
or will be owned by US citizens, who may not be required to meet all EU
directives.

Rob Alley