[Alberg30] Fw: PHRF Ratings

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jun 20 02:23:21 PDT 2001

Dick,
   I'm far from a hard core racer, but I'll try. (Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong)
PHRF..... Performance Handicapping Rating Formula  is a number that is used
to balance out a fleet of disimilar designed sailboats in an attempt to
equalize their speed for racing. (as opposed to one design racing where the
boats are automatically equal in speed). The number varies from region to
region because it is a fine tuned number that is actually (originally) based
on the boat design's actual Performance in the region. There is some
relation to seconds per mile, but I'm not sure of the equation.
Theoretically, we could race our Alberg 30's against a huge (read fast) Maxi
Grand Prix Racer and win.
Regards,
Brian    Free Spirit   #497