[Alberg30] Keels

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 22:53:37 PDT 2001

I own #23 and this is what I know about the keel and the area of which you
speak:
    1)I can't speak for later boats, but it has always been my understanding,
corroborated by the experience of exposing the iron ballast in the rear, that
the ballast is not "iron shot, balls, ingots or what have you", but a solid,
cast, single, shaped piece of pig iron.
    2)  Exploring the area under the engine that is the deepest area of the
bilge at the very aft end of the boat, at the 'heel" that holds the shoe for
the rudder pin, I discovered an area where the covering over the "ballast"
was cracked and holding oil and bilge water. When I went to remove the
covering, it proved to be, not fiberglass at all but an area of something
like Thoroseal Hydro sealing cement in which was embedded, as a filler or as
a spacer, a 14" piece of 2 x 4 common house stud. It was a work of days
getting all this structurally extraneous material out of there, but when I
finished, I found I had exposed the very rear of the pig iron ballast, which
at that point had maybe an 8 " high x 4"wide cross section, and behind it,
that is between the rear of the ballast and the rear of the boat, an empty
area in the shape of a slice of cake about 18" long, 8" high, 4 or 5 inches
at its widest near the ballast and tapering to an edge where it met the
inside of the rear edge of the boat where the rudder attaches. I actually cut
and shaped a series of  1" oak "layers" to glass in to fill it up and then
thought better of it because of what they say about oak not being a good bond
with glass because of the acid and not holding up against rot. So, at the
moment,  the boat remains on the hard,  and my plan is to collect scraps of
fiberglass and old resin and fill it in.
The only pause I have is over the cementitious material in which the iron is
bedded. Having exposed the rear cross section, as I said, I notice that there
was a half-inch of cement around the ballast between it and the inside of the
hull. I'm a little concerned about sealing moisture in with the cement,
because this cement-like material is porous and the water in it will expand
when frozen and, I fear, rust and bust the iron ballast out through the hull
somewhere. With only that half inch cross section exposed, it's hard to know
how to dry it out.
Any suggestions?
By the way, I know nothing about the area in front of the ballast, but I
believe there are no 'false parts' of an Alberg 30's hull, and no foam used
in the earlier ( linerless, original mold) boats.
Paul
#23 Ashwagh

In a message dated 6/20/01 8:11:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
timmins at optonline.net writes:

> I'm not sure if that gray powder is cement or not, but I've run into it
also.
> For the first three winters that I've owned her and kept her on the hard,
by
> spring I always had a gray wet dripping coming from the forefoot area of
the
> keel. Every year I would put some sort of sealer or epoxy over the area and
> still had the weeping the following winter/spring. Winter 99/2000 I decided
> to FIX it finally. I stripped her down in the area and found a couple of
> small cracks. I ground out the area and drilled holes to air out the
wetness.
> The holes I drilled went into a void that had WET gray sand-like stuff. The
> stuff I encountered wasn't cement since it never hardened up. The void area
> encountered is underneath the interior fiberglass ballast cover in the fore
> cabin. My boat is #497 with liner. The fwd cabin has a floor hatch that
lifts
> out and about 6-8" under that is what I'm referring to as the fiberglass
> ballast cover. To finish the story with minimal detail, I filled the holes,
> fiberglassed over the area, faired it out, put on a barrier coat, painted
and
> launched. Winter 2000/2001 had no "Grey Tears" coming from the hull, so I
> guess I fixed it.
>     I'm not sure if anyone other than a Whitby employee will know what that
> gray stuff is. I figure it was (is) just a space filler to secure the iron
> shot, balls, ingots or what have you that makes up our ballast. If your
gray
> sand is dry, be sure to seal the hole completely and be glad your ballast
isn'
> t water logged. Also, if you drilled your hole aft under the engine and I
> drilled forward at the forefoot and we both got the gray stuff, that must
> mean the ballast area goes all the way between.
>  Regards, Brian

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |