[Alberg30] Fresh Water Cooling

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 15:18:18 PST 2001

I currently sail in fresh water (Lake Ontario) but plan to relocate to
Oriental NC next year. I am wondering about the need to protect my Atomic 4
from corrosion when a sailing in salt or brackish water. I know Indigo sells
a fresh water cooling system. Are they necessary? Is flushing the engine with
fresh water adequate or advisable?

I recently saw a Groco Engine Flush Kit at Boat US (pg.467, 2001 Catalog).
It screws into a seacock and Tees off with a quick release plug. The plug is
removed and replaced with an adapter with a female garden hose fitting. The
weak link seems to be the quick release plug. It seals with 2 O-ring on
grooved in the outside diameter of the plug.

I've considered making my own but would need a bronze nipple (from seacock to
Tee) and a bronze valve neither of witch exist.