more bylaws discussiony

Mon Mar 19 13:10:50 PST 2001

Joe,

I appreciate your concurrence with the issues I raised, but I feel I
have to temper them a bit with my experiences on the Nominating
Committee and the last 11 or 12 years as a member.  It's possible
that I've communicated with more non-local members than anyone
since Skip Hallam retired from the Membership Committee.  I'm
the usual point of contact via email and the inquiry cards
bound into the Handbook.  Also, I'm the one who calls members
who neither renew nor decline to renew their membership.

The fact is that, in addition to the social aspects being very
Annapolis-centric, so are the worker-bees that put in time and
effort to keep this organization afloat and thriving.  You are
quite unusual in taking responsibility for the Mainsheet while
not living in the area.  You are to be commended for this.  The
predominant feeling expressed by members outside the local
area is that the Association needs to do more for them.  This
includes such things as members expecting Association officers
to track down information for a possible group purchase that
they would like.  There's no geographic difficulties in such
a project, but it has been very difficult to get non-local
members to take the initiative.

So, while I would like to make sure the Owners-Association aspects
are not neglected, I would not like to belittle either the
Social or Cruising aspects.  In fact, I think all of the aspects
I mentioned are *essential* to the Association retaining its
present stellar character.  There are certainly active Associate
members who have done, and continue to do, a great deal to help
the Alberg 30 as a One-Design association in spite of the fact
that they no longer sail one.

Thanks, I just wanted to put my remarks in perspective.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/