[Alberg30] Ballast / trim

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 00:00:56 PST 2001

Kim.Chatfield at ev1.net writes:

> I've noticed Sorceress floats bow up, but I always figured that was to
>  accomodate real chain under the vee berths.  I have yet to do anything
about
>  it, but I've been thinking that a PVC hawse pipe to lead the chain to a box
>  under the cabin sole would do the trick.  Ideas / suggestions?
Yeah, I've had that fantasy too. But given the shallow clearence under the
sole just aft of the water holding tank and limited space under the main area
of the sole, it is impractical without major modification. But anything CAN
be done and nothing prevents one from imagining what those modifications
would be: The major problem as I see it is room under the sole and some kind
of take-up cassete for the chain. Combine this with what should be everyones
dream to see the A 30 get the kind of lead ballast it should have had from
the beginning (like the Pearson Albergs) and the process goes like this:
    1)Remove the existing iron ballast as follows: Cut around the glassing
over the ballast. Core two four inch holes in the bottom centered under the
ballast which is bedded into the hull with cement. Use two bottle jacks
through the holes to pop the ballast up and out, essentially using the weight
of the boat to seperate the bond of the ballast to the inside of the hull.
Put a lifting ring or two on the ballast and pull it out through the
companionway.
    2)Make a sand mold from the exisiting iron ballast. Recast in lead to the
shape of the original at the bottom (but much lower in overall height because
lead is denser than iron). Hell, let's go all the way:use spent Uranium 238
ingots (65% denser than lead) encased in the lead (emits only mild Alpha
radiation which is stopped by the skin and would be completely stopped by the
encasing lead.) U 238 is easily found today all over Bosnia, since it is used
for its hardness to make U.S. artillery shells. Speak with Towney about group
purchase from Bosian underground.
    3)Reinstall new ballast in boat. This not only lowers the center of
gravity of the whole boat but gives enough space under the sole to install a
chain take-up cassette consisting of a belt and two wheels which are synced
to the anchor winch and take up the anchor chain through a piece of
removeable PVC liner glassed into the stem of the boat from the chain locker
deck hole right down to the fore-and-aft center of gravity of the boat, which
is just aft of the mast.
Well, there it is. You could do it on the cheap for under $50,000, including
smuggling the uranium into the states and allowing $25,000 for bail and a
retainer for your  lawyer if you get caught.
Ideas / suggestions?
Paul
 #23 Ashwagh
 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |