[Alberg30] ballast / trim

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:02:07 PST 2001

Actually, and seriously for a moment, which doesn't seem to be part of
today's discussion, one way to help the trim on the boat is to start moving
stuff behind the center of resistance forward and lower. Keeping the
lazarette empty is one good way, also for those that have the gas tank
mounted behind the engine under the cockpit sole, replace it and move it
forward. I placed mine in the starboard sail locker as far forward as
possible to counter balance the ice box and get the weight out from behind
the engine. When choosing a replacement engine, look to reduce the weight,
an Atomic 4 weighs about 310 lbs and my replacement diesel trimmed about 60
lbs from that. I think the boats have become stern heavy due to water
absorption in the hull and there isn't much we can do about.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012
(410) 544-9067 (Home)